Careers and More!
Thank you for your interest in joining Naples Zoo. We have hundreds of applicants each year but only a few join our select team of dedicated professionals.
Naples Zoo has partnered with PMI, a professional employer organization. Employees are hired as PMI employees to work at the Naples Zoo. Please complete the online PMI employment application and email it to email@example.com.
(Due to the high volume of applicants, we may not be able acknowledge receipt of your application; we will be in touch should we need additional information or select you to interview for one of our open positions.)
Please note: INTERNSHIP information and VOLUNTEER opportunities are listed separately.
Director of Marketing and Public Relations
Animal Care Staff - Venomous
Expedition Guide 40 hrs/wk Hourly
The Expedition Guide must possess the ability to learn how to navigate a 32-foot catamaran through a primate-inhabited island system, narrating a 20-25 minute tour while offering insight into primate behavior and conservation. This person must be comfortable dealing with the general public and able to communicate in a personable way to large audiences. The guide is required to interact with individual guests as well, answering animal and nature related questions.
Animal Care Staff – Venomous
Responsibilities: As part of the Show Department (venom team), the successful candidate will be responsible for the care of venomous reptiles and participation in reptile programs. Duties will also include care, presentation and training of birds and small mammals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• General husbandry and care of assigned animals.
• Close observation of animal behaviors
• Shift animals according to area’s safety protocol.
• Maintain detailed daily records on assigned animals.
• Inspect, clean, and maintain both exhibit and off-exhibit areas.
• Propose and perform species-specific enrichment.
• Knowledge of husbandry requirements, and the prevention of zoonotic diseases.
• Knowledge of operant training techniques.
• Interact with guests during both formal and informal presentations.
• Assist in animal procedures including translocations, immobilizations, crating, and veterinary procedures.
• Respond to and assist management in guiding the resolution of emergency situations within the zoo.
• Observe safety policies and procedures in regards to the use of zoo’s equipment, materials, chemicals, and vehicles.
• Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Minimum 18 years old.
• Must be able to work as part of a team.
• Must be self-motivated and goal-oriented.
• Must be able to use a bicycle or tricycle.
• Strong communication skills and interpersonal skills are essential.
• Must have the ability to work flexible hours, including weekdays, weekends, holidays and evenings.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent. A college degree in a biological science is preferred. A minimum of 1 year previous experience working with venomous reptiles in a zoological setting is required. Previous experience with care/operant conditioning of birds and/or small mammals is preferred. Ideal candidate will be self-motivated, be able to work as part of a team and have strong communication and interpersonal skills. Be able to lift and carry up to 65 pounds. Be available to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and evenings. Possess a valid driver’s license. Work is generally outdoors in all weather conditions.
Director of Marketing & Public Relations
Reports To: President and CEO
FLSA Status: Exempt
SUMMARY: The Director of Marketing & Public Relations reports to the President and CEO and serves as an integral external ambassador and representative for Naples Zoo. S/he is responsible for developing and implementing external communication, advertising, marketing, media sponsorships and promotions, consistent with and responsive to the marketing and public relations needs of the Naples Zoo. The Director of Marketing & Public Relations serves on the Naples Zoo Senior management team.
40 hrs/wk Hourly
Park attendants are responsible for the upkeep and control of public areas. Attendant duties may include but are not limited to maintenance of zoo grounds, pickup and removal of all litter, periodic cleaning of restroom facilities, rental equipment, picnic and playground areas, upkeep of signs, benches and surrounding areas, and crowd control.